SUSAN G. KOMEN AFFILIATES IN OKLAHOMA JOIN FORCES TO INCREASE LOCAL IMPACT

Tulsa (April 17, 2019) Susan G. Komen’s Tulsa and Central & Western Oklahoma affiliates are joining forces to form a new, more comprehensive organization: Susan G. Komen Oklahoma.  The new affiliate will better serve existing service areas and help in our expanding coverage efforts throughout the state.

The new organization will combine the current staff, volunteer leadership, grant-making relationships, and fundraising capacities of both organizations. We will retain offices in Tulsa and Oklahoma City. While the name has changed, the services offered and annual events hosted by each former affiliate remain the same.

Abbi Lee will serve as Komen Oklahoma’s Chief Executive Officer and oversee staff in both the Tulsa and Oklahoma City areas.

“While Oklahoma has one of the lowest incident rates of breast cancer, we have one of the highest death rates in the nation from this disease,” said Komen Oklahoma CEO Abbi Lee. “By combining forces, we will become a stronger affiliate to reach women and men across the entire state of Oklahoma who are in need of access and quality care.”

The new affiliate will now oversee 77 counties: 30 counties in Eastern Oklahoma previously served by Komen Tulsa and 47 counties in central and western Oklahoma previously served by Komen Central & Western Oklahoma.

“While both affiliates have worked closely in the past, we are thrilled to now officially unite to better serve those throughout the state of Oklahoma,” added Lee.

The annual signature fundraising event Race for the Cure will remain in Tulsa. Komen Oklahoma will launch the More Than Pink Walk in Oklahoma City. The Pink Stiletto gala will continue in Tulsa and the Pink Tie ball will continue in Oklahoma City. The event staff for Komen Oklahoma will organize and oversee all events.

“We appreciate all partnerships we currently have in both markets and know this merger will only make them stronger,“ said Lee. “By joining together, our dollars will go further to make an even bigger impact. Joining forces with our partners in Central & Western Oklahoma will strengthen our efforts and allow us to continue to reach our Bold Goal on a larger scale, which is to reduce the nation’s breast cancer deaths by 50% in the next decade.”

In addition to the new name, Komen Oklahoma will also be launching a new website and social media pages later this week. You can find our website at KomenOklahoma.org, find us on Facebook at Facebook.com/KomenOklahoma, and find us on Instagram by searching for Komen Oklahoma.

About Komen Oklahoma

The mission of Susan G. Komen Oklahoma is to provide funding for breast health services, breast cancer education, and outreach throughout the state. Through events like the Komen Race for the Cure®, Komen Oklahoma invests 75 percent of the funds raised to support vital local breast health services and dedicates the remaining 25 percent to national research to find the cures.